Bonavita BV1500TS vs BV1800SS vs BV1900TS – Comparison between Bonavita coffee makers
Bonavita is a company which directed its production on coffee and tea preparation. Many great appliances which create delicious beverages out of ingredients like coffee or tea leaves, came from the Bonavita company. They are approved by SCA (Specialty Coffee Association ) and that only shows enthusiasm and commitment they put into their work.
We all know that for good coffee, you need a quality and fresh coffee beans roasted in the way that suits your taste the best, but we also need a good coffee maker, with good features which can make a perfect cup at the right temperature.
In order to call a coffee maker a good one, first, it has to be made of high-quality materials. Coffee makers made by Bonavita are a combination of stainless steel and BPA free plastic.
So far, Bonavita produced several coffee makers that have similar appearance and features, and in order to solve the mystery about their differences, we did a detailed research. We will try to explain BV1500TS, BV1800SS, and BV1900TS models and compare them, in order to make it easy for you to make a decision. Which Bonavita model is the best for you?
Bonavita BV1500TS, BV1800SS, and BV1900TS
The most important feature that is similar in the case of these three models is that all of them have carafes. They are not single serve coffee makers, and the differences that exist are the brewing capacity, size of carafe and water reservoir, coffee brew basket etc. We will write about every feature and compare these models through them. Are you ready?
- BV1500TS – in general, all these models have a similar appearance, stainless steel body with the BPA free water reservoir on it, connected with the shower head to the brew basket that stands on the top of the stainless steel carafe. The dimensions of these models are different since the BV1500TS model has the 5-cup water reservoir and carafe.
- BV1800SS – similar look, stainless steel machine body with the power button on it, on the top of it there is a water reservoir with a transparent blue colored BPA free water reservoir. Stainless steel carafe with the brew basket on it. These two parts of this coffee maker are connected with the shower head.
- BV1900TS – with the same machine body like the BV1500TS model, BV1900TS has a bigger water reservoir and carafe of 8-cup capacity.
Bonavita used to produce coffee makers with the carafes of 12-cups capacity, but now, their new models of coffee makers have the 8-cups capacity tops.
- BV1500TS – this model has the smallest water reservoir. It is made of BPA free plastic and its capacity is 5 cups ( 25 oz or 0.8 liters ). The water reservoir is not removable, it is connected to a machine body and you can fill it with the carafe.
- BV1800SS – with the 8-cup capacity water reservoir, this model is bigger than the previous one. The capacity is 1.3 liters or 40 oz, and the water reservoir is affiliated to the machine body and it is not removable.
- BV1900TS – water reservoir that is linked to a machine body, made of BPA free plastic and with the capacity of 1.3 liters or 40 oz, this water reservoir is exactly the same as the BV1800SS model’s reservoir.
- BV1500TS – the dimensions are 12.3 x 6.2 x 10.6 inches. Although it is a little bigger coffee maker, we are sure that for a great cup of coffee, a true coffee lover will sacrifice a little more space on the kitchen counter.
- BV1800SS – with the dimensions of 10.8 x 6.2 x 12.2 inches it is almost the same as the previous one.
- BV1900TS – this model has the dimensions of 6.8 x 12.4 x 12.2 inches, and this is the biggest among these three models. But these differences are so small that they are not worth mentioning.
- BV1500TS – this model has the cone-shaped brew and filter basket. The filter basket is made of BPA free plastic, and it is compatible with number 4 cone shaped paper filters.
- BV1800SS – made of BPA free plastic like the previous one, this filter and brew basket is cone shaped. And the best filters recommended by the manufacturer are Melita’s cone-shaped paper filters number 4.
- BV1900TS – since this is a new model, its brew and filter basket is different. This is a flat-bottomed filter basket, and it is better since it makes a better condition for even saturation. This filter basket is compatible with the flat-bottomed paper filters number 4.
All three models have the same temperature level that is optimal for a coffee brew. It ranges from 195° to 205°F. It is important to emphasize that while filling the carafe with prepared coffee, the coffee will slowly cool down and the temperature of coffee in the carafe will be 175-185°F. It will remain like that for about an hour.
- BV1500TS – this model has double walled stainless steel thermal carafe. This type of carafe is durable, and it will keep coffee warm for about an hour. The capacity of the carafe is 32 oz.
- BV1800SS – has the glass lined stainless steel thermal carafe.
- BV1900TS – has a double walled stainless steel thermal carafe just like the first model ( BV1500TS ). These carafes are always a better choice since it is difficult to destroy them.
There are also double walled glass carafes for 5-cup and 8-cup brewers. They are not included but it is nice to know that you can change the one made of stainless steel once you got bored of it. ( cos’ you most certainly won’t break it )
• BV1500TS – this model has the 1100W heater.
• BV1800SS – this model has the 1400W heater.
• BV1900TS – this model has the 1500W heater.
• BV1500TS – BV1500TS has the pre-infusion option which is great, it means that the coffee will be saturated before the extraction for a better taste. The shower head saturates all parts of brew basket evenly and your cup will be full of rich and tasteful coffee.
• BV1800SS – this model doesn’t have the pre-infusion, but the shower head saturates all parts of brew basket. You will enjoy this cup of coffee for sure.
• BV1900TS – has the pre-infusion and wide shower head for even saturation. The brew basket is flat bottom shaped what gives the full extraction.
Cleaning of all these models is easy and all removable parts are dishwasher safe. When it comes to a descaling, it is recommended to descale coffee machine after every 100 cups of coffee.
- BV1500TS –one-touch brew and automatic power-off option ( there is another 5-cup coffee maker that is programmable but that model is BV1500TD, and our article compares BV1500TS with BV1800SS and BV1900TS )
- BV1800SS – this model has the one-touch brew button and the automatic power-off option after the brew is over.
- BV1900TS – has the one-touch brew option and automatic power-off after the brew is done.
All three models are really quick when it comes to a brew time. They will brew the whole carafe in 6 minutes, and the BV1500TS needs around 4-5 minutes for a small batch. Pretty quick for a carafe coffee maker.
Which one to choose?
Besides the difference in price of these three coffee makers, you should think what do they offer to you. If you live alone and you don’t need 8-cups of coffee in the morning, then the Bonavita 1500 model is perfect for you. If you have more than one coffee lover in the house than BV1900TS or BV1800SS will do the job, but in our opinion, the Bonavita 1800 is too expensive, so the better choice is Bonavita 1900. They are similar in their features and the only significant difference is the carafe’s material, but now you can buy a replacement according to your necessities.
Bonavita can be proud of the simplicity their coffee makers have, and on the other hand, with that simplicity, they give us a perfect cup every morning. Since these coffee makers are simple in use, they are perfect for everyone, from young people who don’t have time to prepare coffee like baristas, to the old people who find too many buttons a problem.
Every family who likes to treat themselves with a few cups of coffee in a row should choose one of these Bonavita’s coffee makers. They won’t regret it.